A Dunstable man who was encouraged by his father and older brother to get involved in a violent disturbance in Houghton Regis has been spared jail by a Judge.

The 22 year old was the fifth man to be sentenced for the disorder which erupted on a warm summer’s afternoon last year when two groups of men clashed on a grassy area in Rectory Road.

His father, aged 49, and brother, aged 26, have already been sentenced along with two others who were said to have been part of the opposing group.

Luton Crown Court was told that the disorder involved men rampaging down the street, armed with weapons including a meat cleaver, metal poles and a wooden plank. The Dunstable man was carrying a set of nunchucks.

In the violence that followed, it was claimed by the prosecution, the larger group chased after the father and his two sons and attacked the defendant’s brother, leaving him with serious injuries including a fractured skull and abrasions to his body.

Both sides were said to have hurled implements at each other in the ugly scenes that unfolded.

Footage of the incident on June 25 last year was taken from a bystander’s mobile phone and shown to the court.

Judge Lynn Tayton QC said “On any view this was an extremely serious incident of public disorder in an otherwise quiet residential area on a sunny afternoon.”

The defendant appeared at Luton Crown Court on Friday as sentence had been adjourned for the preparation of reports on him, including a psychological assessment.

His lawyer Stuart Sprawson said: “The report concludes he is suggestible, vulnerable and over dependant on his father.”

Judge Taytun said he had learning difficulties and a very low IQ score.

“It is of considerable concern that members of your family allowed you to become involved in this incident, and I propose to take an exceptional course with you,” she said.

She gave the defendant an 18 month community order with a night time curfew for the next 12 months and a 40 day rehabilitation activity requirement.

He is also subject to a two year restraining order not to contact various people or go to two roads in Houghton Regis.

All five men had pleaded not guilty to a charge of violent disorder, but were convicted by a jury earlier this year.