A heroin addict who burgled a house in Wigginton near Tring had an extra 3 months added to the sentence he is already serving.
The 20-year-old stole £8,000 of jewellery and electrical items from the house in Fox Road while the family were away on holiday.
At around the same time he had burgled two other homes over the county border in Bucks. He admitted those burglaries, and supplying heroin, when he appeared at Aylesbury crown court in December and was sentenced to 18 months.
Today/Weds he appeared at St Albans crown court after pleading guilty to the Wigginton burglary at an earlier hearing.
Prosecutor Michael Harrison said the defendant had forced open a sash window at the back of the house some time between 26 and 28 August when the family was away on holiday.
A neighbour, who was looking after the property, discovered the break-in and untidy search. iPads, iPods, laptops, other electrical equipment and jewellery to the value of just under £8,000 was taken. Amongst the jewellery was a gold wedding ring that belonged to the owner’s grandmother. £580 worth of damage was caused. 
Scenes of Crime Officers were called and the man’s DNA was found on the plastic wrapping of a parcel that had been delivered to the house. His mobile phone was linked to a mast in the Wigginton area at 2.39 in the morning of 27 August, said the prosecutor.
Mr Harrison said the 8-year-old daughter of the house had suffered sleep problems after learning of the break-in and was receiving counselling.
The defendant, from Chesham, pleaded guilty to burglary. At the Aylesbury hearing he had admitted the other two house burglaries and supplying heroin with intent.
Andrew Kerry, defending, said the defendant had become addicted to heroin after suffering problems at home. His family had wanted him to have an arranged marriage, but he was in a relationship with an English girl.
Mr Kerry said the burglaries in neighbouring Buckinghamshire had happened at around the same time and argued that if the Hertfordshire burglary had been dealt with in Aylesbury, he would not have received much more.
Recorder Jeremy Benson QC agreed saying: “I propose to give him a little more”. He ordered him to serve an extra 3 months on top of the 18 month term.