A man who saw his friend bleed to death on Luton’s Marsh Farm estate was jailed for 14 months 23rd Thursday.
The 26 year old pleaded guilty to a series of crimes committed after he had witnessed a murder in May 2013.
He took a Vauxhall Insignia from Dawson Construction Plant Ltd in Chesney Wold, Milton Keynes at a quarter past midnight on 8 July that year.
Police had been called and a few minutes later the man was stopped pulling a trailer with the car on the back. Inside the car was a bumper from a Vauxhall Corsa, Luton crown court heard.
Prosecutor Douglas Page said that in the yard, damage had been caused to a door and window on a Fiat Ducato pick up and to the front passenger window of a Corsa. At the time, a driving ban imposed on the defendant had expired but he had not bothered to take an extended test that was part of the court order.
Whilst on bail he was sentenced to jail in Dumfries, Scotland for house-breaking. He was then sectioned under the Mental Health Act and was being treated in hospital. But he discharged himself and, on 2 April last year, tried to break into a house in Stotfold. When he attempted to open the rear patio door, an alarm was activated and he ran off through the back gate.
The defendant, from Luton, pleaded guilty to attempted burglary, two charges of theft, two of destroying property and one of driving while disqualified. He had previous convictions for dishonesty and drug offences, said Mr Page.
Andrew Kerry, defending, said he had been diagnosed with a personality disorder and a bi-polar condition. At the time he had split up from his girlfriend and two children, but they were back together now. He asked for full credit for his guilty pleas and for the judge to pass a short a sentence as possible.
The defendant  himself addressed the judge via a video link from Woodhill Prison in Milton Keynes, saying that he had no excuse for the attempted burglary. “I am ashamed of myself. I was a complete and utter idiot.”
At the time of the Milton Keynes offences, he said he had been distressed having seen his friend bleed to death. He said he was now intent on becoming a stable family man.
Judge Michael Kay QC also banned him from driving for 18 months telling him he had a “troubled history.”