A burglar who committed a break-in in the same street where he was staying has been jailed for 16 months and will serve just half behind bars before being released in licence.
Lawton’s Andrew Kerry, who represented the man, said he had suffered a number of tragedies in his life.
His father was desperately ill with cancer and his mum, despite being in her mid 50’s, had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.
The 29 year old had come under police scrutiny before he had even carried out the break-in.
Luton Crown Court was told how, in the early afternoon of July 28 this year, two Beds police officers in an unmarked police vehicle parked up in the village, saw the man and another man walking along the pavement.
Prosecuting said the woman officer in the car recognised the 29 year old and, sensing the pair might be up to no good, it was decided to follow them.
The hunch paid off because in broad daylight he and his pal were suddenly seen to dart down the side of a house to the rear of the property where they broke in.
As officers reached the drive way to the house, they looked down the side of the house to see the man’s accomplice coming towards them on a bike he had just stolen.  He was promptly arrested.
The defendant had gone out of the back with a laptop computer under his arm and took a footpath through fields to get to the house of his girlfriend.
The two police officers, back at the scene of the break-in, were able to radio for information about him and, within seconds, had the house number where he would be.
Moments later they turned up at the house to find him stripped down to his waist and sweating as if he had been running.
In fact he had discarded the computer on the footpath and it was quickly found.
He was arrested and as he was led away was heard to shout out “Tell them we were at the pub together. Make sure you say that in your statement.”
The man, who was now living in Luton, pleaded guilty to burglary.
The court was told he had a long history of offending and had chalked up 22 convictions going back to when he was a juvenile.
Andrew Kerry, defending, said he was an “excitable young man” who had suffered from ADHD.
The court heard that his father was seriously ill and now all he wanted was to complete his sentence and get home to his dad.
Judge Philip Bartle jailed him for 16 months.