Three Ware men were jailed Friday 19th May after a waiter at an Indian restaurant was racially abused had stones, wood and rubble thrown at him.

The waiter was having a cigarette while sitting on a wall outside the Neelakash Tandoori in Amwell End when he was approached by a 27-year-old man, who offered to sell him a mobile phone. When he refused he  told him: “F… off back to your own country.”

Prosecutor Joseph Templeton told St Albans crown court that later that man was joined by a 23 year old and a 21 year old. One was heard to say: “There is the little P…”. The waiter  “very offended” and crossed the road to speak to the group. One of the defendants pulled out a small penknife and said he would use it, except he was on a suspended sentence, said the prosecutor.

The waiter called on two friends. They were called P….  and wood, stones, and rubble were thrown.

Police arrived and the three were arrested.

The three men pleaded guilty to racially aggravated public order in the early hours of 19 July last year.  The 21 year old also admitted attempted theft from a telephone kiosk and entering a shed with intent to steal. He was also in breach of a suspended sentence for a non-dwelling house burglary.

Another defendant said he and another man had tried to break into a cash box in a BT call box early on November 22 last year. They also went into a shed at the rear of a barbers in Ware High Street, but nothing was taken.

Andrew Morton for the 27 year old said that missiles had been thrown in both directions and that the waiter had crossed the road to confront the group. He said the 27 year old was not involved at the start and the trouble was over in a relatively short period. He said he did not accept the waiter’s comments about the mobile phone.

For the 21 year old, Andrew Kerry said there was a confrontation between the two groups but that his client accepted his behaviour was totally inappropriate. He asked for credit for his guilty plea.

The 23 year old said he did not start the trouble but accepted he should not have joined in. Since being held in custody he had missed the birth of his child, she said.

Recorder Kalyani Kaul QC said: “It was a relatively short unpleasant public order incident.” She made an order banning the three defendants from contacting the victim.

She jailed the 21 year old for a total of 60 weeks and the other two for 28 weeks.