Speeding Offence Solicitors

Speeding Offences, Fines & The Law

If you have been accused of speeding, our specialist knowledge will help us to defend or mitigate your speeding offence, which is especially important if you face a ban from driving or already have points on your licence.

Speeding prosecutions are commonplace but should not be underestimated, as they can have a huge impact on your personal life and career. If you are charged with a speeding offence it is critical that you act within the timeframes given and seek specialist legal help.

Lawtons Solicitors can advise you 24 hours, 7 days a week and provide legal representation for speeding offences. We have specialist expertise in this area and aim to secure the best possible outcomes for our clients.

Often speed awareness courses are offered in lieu of penalty points and fines, but a more serious conviction can have life-changing consequences. We strongly recommend you consult a specialist solicitor at the earliest opportunity. If you have already been on a speed awareness course it is unlikely that you will be offered another one.

Whilst the law dictates that any speed over and above the limit means you can be prosecuted, in reality police forces use their discretion and ordinarily do not prosecute until you go over 10% of the limit. This allows for driver concentration, speedometer error etc. This is, however, at the sole discretion of the officer.

How are speeding tickets issued?

You can be caught either by a speed camera or a police operated speed gun at the side of the road. In order to prosecute, you must receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) in writing within 14 days of the alleged offence. If, however, you are caught by the traffic police, they can issue a NIP verbally.

Where to find more information if you are accused of a speeding offence

All information regarding the offence can be found in the NIP, which is issued to the vehicle’s registered keeper. The Road Traffic Act 1988 (section 172) dictates that it is the registered keeper’s responsibility to provide the details of the person driving when the offence was committed.

Written appeals are possible but you must be sure to adhere to the strict timelines given. This information is also available on the NIP. To make sure you receive the best outcome, please get in touch with us at Lawtons Solicitors, where we have dedicated driving offence lawyers who can assess your individual case.

Contact Us

For more information about speeding offences and sentences, please call us on 0333 2020972 or email web@lawtonslaw.co.uk.

FAQs about Speeding Offences

What happens if my car is caught speeding in a location that I have never been to?

The car that has been caught might be stolen and using the same registration number as your car. We can help you to convince the traffic police of the Crown Prosecution Service that it wasn’t your car speeding by using evidence to prove that the cars are not the same.

I was not driving my own car when a speed camera caught me. How do the police find out who was driving the car?

The police will send the registered keeper of the vehicle a notice of intended prosecution and request for information under section 172 of the Road Traffic Act 1984 to provide the details of the person who was driving the vehicle.

What’s classed as excessive speeding?

Excessive speeding is usually defined as 20 mph or more over the speed limit.