What are our fees for driving and road traffic offences?
We believe in operating an open and transparent pricing structure. To this end, we do not charge excessive fees, nor are we the cheapest option, but we will work with you to achieve the best result possible in the circumstances of your case.
We are required to provide price information for assistance in relation to summary only motoring offences under Part I of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and s89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. This information is intended to provide assistance with our costs in respect to the legal representation that is needed for these offences.
The most common types of these offences include:
- Drink driving
- Drug driving
- Failing to provide a specimen in connection with a drink or drug related case
- Driving without due care and attention
- Failing to provide driver details
- Failing to stop/report after an accident
We tend to work on a fixed basis and the cost information provided below is based on a typical guilty plea and sentencing scenario.
Our standard fee would be £1000 plus VAT (charged at 20%) and includes:
- 2 hours attendance/preparation:
- Considering evidence
- Taking your instructions
- Providing advice on a likely sentence
- Attendance and representation at a single hearing and half a day Magistrates Court hearing.
The fee does not include:
- Instruction of any expert witnesses
- Taking statements from any witnesses
- Advice and assistance in relation to a special reasons/exceptional hardship hearing
- Advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
- Disbursements in respect of our mileage/travel expenses in attending court. Mileage is charged at 45 p per mile
The key stages of your matter are based on the presumption that you have entered a guilty plea and have a date for your hearing.
- Meet with your solicitor to provide instructions on what happened
- We will consider initial disclosure, and any other evidence and provide advice
- Arranging to take any witness statements if necessary (this will have an additional cost of £200 per hour plus VAT)
- We will explain the court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your hearing, and the sentencing options available to the court
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have
- We cannot provide a timescale of when your hearing will take place, as this depends on the court listing for that day
- We will attend court on the day and meet with you before going before the court. We anticipate being at court for half a day
- We will discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal, this will carry an additional cost.
Our team has well over 100 years of collective experience in delivering high quality work in all matters relating to Motoring Offences. The team has expertise in all types of Motoring Offences, up to and including those involving death.
We have 7 members of the team who may work on your matter. Regardless of who works on your matter, they will be supervised by Stephen Halloran, Head of Motoring Offences. All of our staff profiles can be viewed here.