A teenager who used his metal comb to stab an off duty policeman in the face so that one of the teeth of the comb went through the man’s cheek and into his mouth has been jailed for 18 months today Tuesday 16th June.
Recorder Clive Broe sentenced the 18 year old at Luton crown court after hearing from Lawton’s barrister Alex Britton of the difficult childhood the teenager had had.
Mr Britton said 18 year old now felt remorse for what he’d done and had learnt from the experience.
He appeared for sentence having earlier been found guilty by a jury of assaulting of duty policeman occasioning him actual bodily harm.
The court was told the attack happened on board a late night train travelling between Luton and Bedford on the night of November 1 last year.
The policeman and his girlfriend had been in London for a night out and were on their way home.
Harry Snook prosecuting said the carriage was busy with many people coming out of the capital that night and the atmosphere was jovial.
However, when the defendant got on the train at Luton he sat down near the couple and lit up a joint.
The court was told when the off duty officer and another man remonstrated with him telling he couldn’t smoke his reply was “Oh can’t I – I can do what I want”
When the other passenger tried to reason with the defendant he said “I can do what I f…… want!
The policeman, by now, was on his feet and sensing there might be trouble, snatched the joint from the defendant who became angry and abusive.
The court was told that by the time the train was in the area of Flitwick Railway Station the defendant was at “boiling point”
The prosecutor said the officer noticed he had something “silvery” in his hand and after telling him to calm down was suddenly punched in the side of his face.
In the struggle that followed the boy bit the officer on the forearm as he was being held on the ground.
The officer also realised something was sticking out of his face and he saw the defendant had a silver Afro comb with a prong missing. It had pierced his cheek and entered his mouth.
The court heard the officer was able to pull it out of his left cheek and managed to get the defendant into another carriage.
When the train pulled into Bedford, police officers were on the platform having been alerted and as the teenager got off he was arrested.
The court was told he had previous convictions for violence as a young teenager, but nothing in the last four years.
Alex Britton defending said despite his injury the officer had not needed much in the way of medical treatment and the cut inside his mouth was left to heal itself.
He said the defendant was now remorseful for what he’d done that night and would now walk away if a similar situation arose in the future
Recorder Broe sentenced him to 18 months in a young offenders institute.
He told him “you punched the victim in the face with such force that a long metal comb you had in your hand penetrated his cheek.”